Tuesday 7 February 2012

A day in the life of a working mum

Let me tell you about the last day of January. Hopefully it will make you feel a lot better about anything that's going on in your world today...
The day started badly. Meant to be up bright and early at 6.30 but that arm of mine kept reaching over for my friend, the snooze button. Running late from the off.
My little man downstairs was now desperate for breakfast. What would Sir care for this morning? An toasted English muffin, with cheese and ham. Of course Sir, a very good choice. Well, it would have been if the muffins hadn't been tinged with that furry green colour. Sir might just need to make do with a bowl of coco-pops I'm afraid.
Fast forward an hour, and I had one at school, one at work and a holiday to book. We're counting down the weeks till the arrival of Baby Rostom, and a ticket to Dubai has got my name written all over it. Half-term, Easter, a balmy 30 Celsius and more bling than you can shake a stick at. And here beginneth the start of what would prove to be a very tricksy day.
I could fly Azerbaijan Airlines very cheaply. Hell, Aeroflot was proving to be the steal of the century.  I played safe and went to the airline of choice's website. Emirates. Now the day before, the site was overflowing with £400 fares. Today? You've guessed already; nothing for less than £500. Quick Family Goode discussion and the purchase button was pressed. Sorry, going to correct myself, I attempted to buy them. Time out error. And so the process starts again.  
Made the schoolgirl error of choosing a flight which didn't return back to where my car was parked. And so the process starts once more.
Finally.  Two hours and third-time lucky. Correct flights chosen and now to redeem some Frequent Flyer miles. I've earned that reward. I was a Blue; I needed to be a Silver member at a cost of 40,000 miles. Don't panic Emma, you can purchase miles online. But only 25,000 per year. They'd got me. Cash it was then. For cash, read credit.
My flexible friend located, I typed in those accommodating digits. Whoa there Emma, you need a credit card in your maiden name. Something about a third-person rule and a passport. Everyone's a bit nervous these days aren't they?  Second flexible friend located, and the expiry date read. 2008 you say? Bugger. 
I know, I'll phone my friends at Tesco Finance. They know me well. They'll help me out. Have you actually lost your card, Miss Goode? Have no idea, could be anywhere. All I need today is for you to tell me my new expiry date. Oh, I'm awfully sorry Miss Goode, we can't disclose that information. Strict security protocols, you understand.  Nope, I don't really understand, and no, there isn't anything else you can help me with today.
So...I reviewed my options. Solution found. I can pay online via Paypal. Result. Flights booked. And breathe Emma.
Next, a trip to the post office. Proofs had to be at the printers for 9am the next morning. I can do that. Oh really? Forgot my mobile and so had no said printer's address. Don't worry Emma, the Post Office have online postcode finders. They'll help me out. Sadly that service is no longer available. Kinda sums up this era really. 
Got back into the car. I have a mate down the road. She's online. She'll help me out. A plan. 
It was then I noticed the yellow sun come on in the car. The one that screams "you're just about to run out of petrol". Flashing. Consistently and insistently. I reckoned I  could make it to my friend's and back.  Friend's car was in the drive. Bingo. Close, but no banana. She was out. Now I had a dilemma. Risk driving back home for the printer's address or direct to the petrol station. Played it safe. Petrol purchased, package posted. 
Feeling slightly more buoyant about the day now, my breathing returned to normal and so did I. Sir returned home and we got ready for swimming. 
As he's just moved up a grade, we had a new teacher to meet and greet. Her first question was whether I'd brought along the blue transfer form? Well, that would be a no, wouldn't it. Does Mum know where the blue transfer form might be? Mum has absolutely no clue whatsoever. The observant teacher noticed the start of steam rising and wisely let it lie. The lesson commenced.
Lengths completed, talc dispensed and dinner ate, my mood was ok. Not great, but ok. And then it arrived. The email from Paypal.

We regret to inform you that you have exceeded your annual purchase limit and therefore we have declined your recent payment today. And thank you, Paypal! 









No comments:

Post a Comment