Thursday 26 January 2012

Shake what ya mama gave ya....

Never thought I'd find myself in a room full of sweaty women, shaking my tush with all my might. But here I am. At a zumba class. And I'm loving it. I'm hooked. If you haven't had the pleasure yet, here's why...

There was a time I used to go to the gym three times a day. Past tense. Whole 'nother blog. Last year I paid a monthly fee for a shiny membership card. Didn't go inside once. Something needed to change.

With nervous trepidation, I signed up to my first zumba class. What to wear? Could I manage it? Would they laugh?  Needn't have worried; I was met with friendly faces and a warm welcome. And nobody laughed at my outfit. Always a bonus.

Everyone thinks they can dance. Normally, I'm a shimmying mix between Ginger Rogers and Beyonce.  But it takes half a bottle of vodka to get there.  But I thought I'd be semi-ok.  I also thought I knew my right and left before zumba. Seems I didn't. As the dulcet tones of Ricky Martin started, my co-ordination ended.  "Single, single, double" was an instruction too far.

Fast forward a few months, and you'll find me actually keeping in rhythm.  Knowing which way to shuffle. Attempting to shimmy. Mastering the art of the body-roll might take a while longer.

The lovely women in the class are my zumba-buddies now. We're all perspiring together. No judging, just smiling. Which in a predominately female environment is wonderful, albeit rare.  I think it's all down to our instructor. I hope she knows just how inspirational she is. It doesn't matter when I fluff a move, or when my toes just won't fit into my hand; she continues to support and encourage us as a true mentor should.  I look forward to my Sunday class as much as my Sunday roast, which tastes that much nicer knowing how many calories I've just burnt. The Mad Fitness Crew's classes can be found at http://www.madfitnesscrew.com/default.html

The thing about zumba is that it just doesn't feel like a traditional gym workout. No counting down the reps, no willing the minutes away and no manky showers. You can see the results week-by-week. Does wonders for your posture, weight loss and confidence.

It feels like dancing with your mates in a club. Now that I CAN do.

2 comments: